Tuesday 8 February 2011

School Magazine Evaluation

When looking at existing school magazines they all followed similar codes and conventions. An example is George Stephenson's magazine that incorporated a main headline, name of the magazine at the top left corner of the cover and the images didn't have a particular order but were generally in line with text. There was a basic colour scheme of reds and yellows that matched the school logo, which was placed at the right hand corner of the cover. However the colours were eye catching. I found my inspiration from the George Stephenson school magazine. I liked the layout of the cover, the headline, text, school logo, images and title were all in coloured boxed. It looked organised and professional, the bright colour contrast attracting students to read it and the arrangement the cover which would attract parents into reading the magazine. Once analysing different school magazines' conventions i created a front cover and contents page for a Whitley Bay High school magazine. However unlike George Stephenson's magazine i did not include a school logo.

I have learnt many things technologically whilst constructing my magazine. I have been practising how to take a good quality photo to give less work and ammendments on photoshop. I experimented with differrent angled shots: for example: medium close ups and low angle shots.  I learnt how to adjust the focus on a camera and how to work with natural and artifical lights to create a professional looking photo. Natural light helped to extentiuate the features of the model and make them look like a more natural beauty. Artificial light gives a more polished image. Whilst using photoshop i learnt how to use the cutting out tools better such as the magnetic lasso and the crop tool. I was also able to crop my images and add different fonts for my headlines in the magazine. To save time i learnt how to 7use shortcuts on the keyboard on photoshop such as 'Ctrl Z' to paste images.

No comments:

Post a Comment